You know, I've had some thoughts lately that I'll attempt to share with you. When we were all sick with the flu last week we watched a LOT of movies and one of them was "Cool Runnings". One of my favorite dialogues is at the end when Durice asks his coach why he cheated. The coach tells him that it was because he made winning his whole life and if you make winning your whole life, you have to keep on winning. He tells him that a gold medal is a wonderful thing but if you're not enough without it, you'll never be enough with it. Durice asks, "How will I know if I am enough?" The coach responds, "When you cross that finish line, you'll know."
I got thinking about the significance of that and how it really is the key to happiness in life. Knowing that we are children of God, that He loves us and that He has a plan for us, makes it so that we truly feel that we are "enough". It doesn't matter what happens in life or what we lack, we are enough and we can be happy. But while it is one thing to know God loves us, it is a different thing to believe it. If there has ever been a "dark" time in my life or a time when I'm feeling discouraged it's a guarantee that I have forgotten that one thing. I somehow believe that I have to accomplish something on my own or I get overwhelmed by my weaknesses and inadequacies. But if I can believe that when the Lord said He will bless us, work miracles for us and make our weaknesses strong, then I don't need to be discouraged about anything. The Lord is in charge and we do not need to fear. We just need to believe. At our stake conference meeting last night Elder Brent Nielsen said that President Packer commented that he has served with the 12 Apostles for 40 years now and over that time he has seen and heard many different emotions and feelings expressed. But there is one thing that has never been expressed. And that is fear. They do not fear. They know the Lord is in charge and the move forward with confidence. I think that confidence comes from knowing who they are and where they are going.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh my goodness Bonnie! Thank you so, so much for sharing your thoughts. I am in tears. It was just what I needed to hear. It came at the perfect time! I love you!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing that! It's so true! Who knew you could find such great meaning in a moive like Cool Runnings! ;)
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing Bonnie. Very good thoughts. :)
ReplyDelete