Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Where is Heaven?

A few nights ago I was putting Michael to bed and we had just read a quick scripture story. We got talking about heaven and how we will live there with Heavenly Father after we die. He started insisting that he wanted to go to heaven. I told him it was too far away to go there--that it was in the sky. So last night this was our conversation:

Michael:
Where is heaven? I know it is in the sky, but where is it?

Me: It's far away--you'd probably need a rocket to get there.

Michael: And I go there after I die? But my spirit and my body are still together. (lifting up his shirt) Where is my spirit?

Me: It’s inside you; you can’t see it. That’s what makes your body move and helps you think and talk.

Michael: But I want my spirit to come out! I want to see it!

Me: We can’t take our spirits out honey, they only come out when we die.

Michael: But I want it out!

(Knowing it is absolutely pointless to try to argue with a 3 year old, particularly at bedtime, I turned it back on him): So how would you get your spirit out?

Michael: With a knife.

Me: A KNIFE?!!?

Michael: Yeah, I will cut it out.

(Not wanting this conversation to continue, I quickly changed the subject and made a mental note to keep all sharp objects under lock and key! Yikes!)

2 comments:

  1. Both hilarious and precious! You are teaching him well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That wasn't where I thought the conversation was going to go! I thought it was going to be something sweet, but that's kind of scary!

    ReplyDelete