Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Tyler's Jupiter Project

After transporting it to and from school!
Tyler had his first major science project recently. He had to do a report and a model of Jupiter. He did a really cool power point presentation all by himself and then came the task of doing the model. Jeremiah conviently left town =) so I was the lucky one who got to help create Jupiter. I first went to Walmart to check out the no-brainer version--the styrofoam ball. I was shocked to see that they cost $10 for one large ball! I could think of a lot of things I could do with $10 besides buy a science project that would be thrown away within a couple days. When I got home I saw a really nice, round, white balloon leftover from Tyler's birthday. I wasn't sure if paint would stick to the balloon but it worked great! Until that is, we took it outside to transport it! I didn't really think about the shrinking part. In case you didn't know balloons shrink when they are exposed to cold air!! It looked great long enough for the teacher to grade, so I guess that's the important part! That's what I get for being so cheap! Oh, well. Either way I guess the project would have ended up in the garbage! But I thought Tyler did a great job paiting it though! It's not easy to paint stripes on a round slippery balloon!

3 comments:

  1. Great project Tyler! It's fun seeing what you do each year. Something else that works really well is a rubber ball and they take paint quite well. I made a Halloween creature one year with a big beach ball and it is still around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Tyler! I can't believe he did a power point presentation - amazing!

    ReplyDelete