Sunday, February 21, 2010

Cupcake Creations



I went to the Cocoa Bean the other day to buy a fancy cupcake for a friend who was having a hard time. Michael of course wanted one, but I was too cheap to spend another $3 on a cupcake for us. I told him that we'd make some fancy cupcakes at home for Heidi's birthday (my cousin). I had some cherry pie filling and some carmel at home and figured we'd whip up something simple.

Well, Tyler and Jacob heard about it and got really excited and started Googling cupcake recipes and next thing I know I'm spending 3 hours in the kitchen creating 4 different kinds of cupcakes! Let's just say it was a definite learning experience! You should never spread a strawberry sauce on the cupcake before you frost it. ALL of the frosting slid right off each of the cupcakes. It was hilarious. I had to scrape it all off (sauce and frosting combined with a few cupcake crumbs) and add about 4 lbs. of powdered sugar to thicken it up and then I still had to keep them in the fridge just to keep the frosting on top. Oh, well. We had fun!

We made Cherry Chocolate, Turtle (carmel, chocolate and nuts) , Orange (they had an orange glaze on the bottom and orange buttercream frosting on top--Tyler found that recipe!), and the infamous Strawberry (we put purreed strawberries in the cake too).

No comments:

Post a Comment