Monday, February 1, 2010

The Lady's Man

Last year my friend Kendra confided in me that her daughter Hallie (who was 3 at the time) had a huge crush on Jacob and had been writing him love notes, etc. She said she could laugh about it now, but that it had taken awhile before she found it funny. She had been so mortified that her 3 year old was writing love notes that at first she couldn't bring herself to tell me. I laughed with her and thought how funny it was that a 3 year old could crush, but I didn't worry about my kids doing that because it's a girl thing right? WRONG. My 3 year old is a serious lady's man. I felt the same way as Kendra at first. So mortified that I haven't wanted to say anything about it. But now I'm coming to grips with it and I THINK that I can say it's funny now. Let me give you details.

For quite awhile now (at least a year) Michael has shown an interest (Ok maybe an obsession) with marriage. First he wanted to marry me and then he would randomly choose other girls that he knew. He really liked seeing Cinderalla at Disneyland and there wasn't a day that went by that he didn't talk about marriage in some form. Now he has narrowed it down to one girl--Esther. They are in the same class in Church but otherwise he never talks to her or plays with her, but every time we pass the temple he points it out and says, "There's the Wexsburg temple. I am going to marry Esther there after my mission." Cute, right? We all laugh about that and think it's so cute. And how funny that he has picked one girl. If only he would stay true to Esther I would feel better about it...

Right before Christmas Michael went to his playgroup. I carpooled with someone so I did not pick him up and it wasn't until later that I heard about what had happened. Apparently Michael and Lydia (another friend) had been hugging and holding hands (interlocking fingers) almost the whole time. I was mortified. My friend that was hosting the playgroup that day assured me that she thought it mainly Lydia initiating it, but I wasn't so sure! She thought it was really funny, but like I said, it's taken me awhile to get to the point where I can smile about it. I'm still not really laughing though because it didn't stop there...

A few weeks ago Kendra invited us up to their cabin to snowmobile and spend the night. Remember Hallie that had a crush on Jacob? Well, I don't know how she feels about Jacob, but she and Michael hung out the whole time. Which was really cute, until I caught him with his arm around her!! Ok, it wasn't exactly around her, but she was sitting down watching a movie and he was standing behind her with his hand on her back. When I caught his eye he gave me a very embarrassed smile--he knew what he was doing! Tell me this is normal behavior for a 3 year old!! I didn't know whether to laugh or cry!

Not long after that we had another episode at the store. This one was very funny though. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. Michael was sitting in the cart and we were standing by a girl in another cart. He caught her eye and--I kid you not--he winked at her (I didn't even know he could wink!) and gave her a thumbs up!! LOL!! I quickly pushed the cart away not only to get him away from her but because I was in danger of bursting out laughing in front of a bunch of strangers! Oh my goodness, it was so funny!

What do I do with this kid??!!?

1 comment:

  1. What a Ladies Man already! Haha. I can totally picture his "embarrassed smile" I've seen it.

    ReplyDelete